Saturday, 2 June 2012

Guest Hosting Event Kitchen Chronicles~Go Nuts...


Botanically nuts is a word that describes all, I quote from Wikipedia,” A nut is a hard-shelled indehiscent fruit of some plants.” Indehiscent is where the fruit does not open up and depends on decay or some predator to release the contents in the hard fruit.

English has its own usage of the nuts examples are my kid’s ‘tough nuts to crack’ when it comes to getting them to eat nuts in food. Even when they are well masked they drive me nuts with their questions, I use a sledgehammer to crack the nuts....

A nut in cuisine, what we are more interested in, is a much less restrictive category than a nut in botany, as the term is applied to many seeds that are not botanically true nuts. Any large, oily kernel found within a shell and used in food may be regarded as a nut.

Because nuts generally have high oil content, they are a highly prized food and energy source. A large number of seeds are edible by humans and used in cooking, eaten raw, sprouted, or roasted as a snack food, or pressed for oil that is used in cookery and cosmetics. Nuts (or seeds generally) are also a significant source of nutrition for wildlife.

Nuts used for food, whether true nut or not, are among the most common food allergens.
Some fruits and seeds that do not meet the botanical definition but are nuts in the culinary sense like almonds, cashew nuts etc.

Several studies have revealed that people who consume nuts regularly are less likely to suffer from coronary heart disease. 

 In addition nuts generally have a very low glycemic index (GI). Consequently, dietitians frequently recommend nuts be included in diets prescribed for patients with insulin resistance problems such as diabetes mellitus type 2.

One study found that people who eat nuts live two to three years longer than those who do not.  

Nuts contain the essential fatty acids linoleic and linolenic acids, and the fats in nuts for the most part are unsaturated fats, including monounsaturated fats.

Many nuts are good sources of vitamins E and B2, and are rich in protein, folate, fiber, and essential minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and selenium.

Nuts are most healthy in their raw form.
After hearing all this you may be wondering if I am off my nuts… well no but I am sure to drive all of you nuts for


I am hosting KC(kitchen chronicles) - Go Nuts event an event by Kalyani of Sizzling Tastebuds...


The rules are simple
·         Nuts should be used predominantly in the entries - main course / salad / soups / desserts: anything. But atleast 50% of the total ingredient weight should be nuts. Go nuts...
·       Only vegetarian entries eggs acceptable in bakes only.
·        Event runs from 1st June-30th June 2012.
·        We are looking for new entries but 2 archived entries per blogger (linked and reposted to this event) are allowed, other entries are to be posted between 1st June-30th June 2012 only!
·         All entries should be linked to this announcement page and Kalyani’s announcement.
·         Use of the logo is appreciated.
·          If you are a blogger, you can simply link your recipes with the linky.
·        Non bloggers can email me your name, recipe and picture at themadscientistskitchen AT gmail DOT com with the subject of “Go Nuts”.
What are you waiting for dear drive everyone nuts... and send me your delicious entries.

Photobucket




14 comments:

  1. haha, no you didn't drive me nuts :D
    i didn't know all this info. i lovvveeeee nuts in everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hosting a giveaway over at my blog and would love for you to stop by and participate.

    http://www.myhobbielobbie.com/2012/05/my-200th-blog-post-and-my-1st-ever.html

    Looking forward to seeing you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Archana ,

    I'm punitha of http://www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    Nice event ...

    At your free time do visit my blog Archana:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice one dear. all the best for the event

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice theme..will send entries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely event,Happy Hosting !!will try n send some entry..:-)
    Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
    1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

    2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hosting this Archana.. Do check out the email I sent you now on the LOGO...

    Thanks
    Kalyani

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice theme..its my first time in your wonderful blog..Very happy to follow you..
    Happy Hosting..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Archana,

    Thanks for hosting this event. I just submitted my entry. Following your space :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. First time here...will send my entries soon..Happy to follow ur blog:)Happy hosting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi dear, great event, love the theme. i am not sure how to do this.. i will send my entry to you personally by email, in two hours time..and thanks in advance for ever being so kind to help me out here.
    have a nice day
    ps.. i did email to you the same day i responded to your comment.. inclusive of pics.. its ok, will do again in 2 hours.. today for sure

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi archana :)
    So happy to see your event go nuts.Happy to follow you..Am new to your space.I have submitted my post http://tangymind.blogspot.com/2012/06/special-dessert-from-central-asia.html on your event.Please feel free to comment on my blog and very much waiting to hear your comments:) Am also archana :) Please follow and like my blog :)Awaitin to hear it from u.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi shall i send butter bean n soya bean recipes to this nuts contest!!!

    http://www.nathivg.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dear, Thanks for letting me knw abt ur event I did link it up...thnks:)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright