Friday, August 24, 2012

Vegetarian Chilli For Taste & Create



When I signed up for Taste & Create I was just hoping to make newer friends. But till now I have not contacted my partner Carol @ NO REASON NEEDED.  Will rectify the problem soon but right now I need to tell you that I am amazed at the stuff that Carol has done, not just cooking but from skydiving to horse riding!! My I really need to broaden my horizons!!

There were a few recipes like the no bake cookies, banana muffins and of course Chilli that caught my eye. Will use them shortly.

I had to try making chilli for it was a long pending demand. Must say I enjoyed it. Carol has used the slow cooker and beef ,since I do not own a slow cooker I used the regular kadhai/wok and in place of beef used rajma or kidney beans.


The chilli was delicious and the aroma filled the whole house. Since I was on leave I started cooking by about 2 pm and kept it on the low flame till about 3.30 pm.

Initially I followed the recipe with my planned substitutes both to suit my pantry and the availability of ingredients. But then in the end I had to make a major change like adding more chilli paste.
 But do read on.

 Ingredients:

450 grams rajma, boiled (mine were frozen stiff)
4 Kashmiri chillies soaked in water
10 cloves of garlic
1 small  onion
4 tomatoes, chopped fine
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green capsicum, chopped
1 green chilli, slit
½ cup tomato sauce
2 tblsp chilli powder
1 tblsp dried basil
2 tsp ground cumin/jeera
10 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tblsp red chilli sauce
3/4 tsp pepper
6 tblsp cottage cheese/paneer
To suit my family’s heat taste
2 tblsp red chilli powder
1 small onion
A few strands of coriander

Method:


1.  Grind the Kashmiri chilli, half onion and 10 cloves of garlic to a fine paste.
2.  In a thick kadhai/wok heat oil add and fry the chilli paste till the raw smell goes away add the rajma.
3.  Add the tomatoes, onion, capsicum, green chilli, tomato sauce, chilli powder, basil, cumin, garlic, oregano, pepper and red chilli sauce.
4.  Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
5.  Sprinkle paneer to serve.

Till here I was very happy. For like I said the curry smelt delicious.

In walked my younger daughter and she checked the pan. Before I knew it she had tasted the ingredients and wrinkled her pretty nose at the rajma. The questions that followed are pretty much routine of every household.
“What are making?”
“Chilli”
“Where is the Chilli?”
This is when I sat up to take a closer look at the yummy curry.

 Of course the chilli in the Chilli was not enough to our very Indian Palate. If my younger one is asking this question the other will definitely look at me with askance.

Now I hurriedly ground 1 tblsp of red chilli powder and ½ the left-over onion and coriander (because I had not used parsley) with a little water in the chutney bowl of my mixer and added it to the pan.  

Now since I had seen kiddo wrinkling her nose at the rajma I removed as many rajma as I could from the pan and ran the hand held mixer to get a smooth paste. Then I added the rajama back to the pan.

Boiled for about 10 minutes and served with chopped spring onions with chapatti or Indian flat bread.


Notes: 

Please let me warn you it was pungent. In fact so pungent that we had to have loads of curds. Next time I am going easy on the red chili. The second 1 tblsp should have been 1/2 or 1/4 tblsp. 

Use water as needed to prevent the contents from sticking to the bottom of the pan say about 1/4 cup about a couple of times.
  
Sending this to Taste & Create
photo
And Kalyani's Desi Videshi Food Festival

All rights reserved on photographs and written content are copy-written @The Mad Scientist’s Kitchen!! unless mentioned. Please Ask First
  Photobucket

19 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

looks wonderful deliciously done

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Never tasted chilli before...always came across Non vegetarian recipes...will try this vegetarian version soon...sounds good

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Mouthwatering Veg Chilli. Drooling over here.
Deepa

Gauri said...

Oh looks so delicious I want some now!! had dinner but hungry again!

Shama Nagarajan said...

too good...inviting

Divya Pramil said...

So delicious and flavorful preparation Archana :)

Today's Recipe - Apple Milk (Simplest & Yummiest)
You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes

nayana said...

That's a nice and creative dish .....
btw i am trying your tip for acidity of eating raw rice grains on empty stomach since last few days and i am very thankful to you as it has helped me a lot....

In your spare time do visit my blog...

http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in

Priya said...

Beautifully done, inviting dish.

divya said...

Extremely tempted...Drooling here..can feel it..Thanks.

cookingvarieties said...

hi archana....never seen this recipe before- love to try this-bookmarked with thanks. must be a great appetizer with rice huh.
have a nice day

Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj said...

very yummy dish...
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

Now Serving said...

Wow, that looks spicy, tangy and delicious!!!

Raksha said...

yup this looks very spicy and tasty, good that u did not use beef.

Swasthi said...

Loved the color and thanks for sharing this. will try this!

La @ FoodSlice said...

Never tried cooking chili though have eaten some at the American/ Mexican restaurant called Chilis. They serve it on french fries along with cheese and it tastes really yum. Now that i make french fries at home, why didnt i think of chili! That's a thought worth pursuing coz your creation looks delish.

Sweta said...

Lovely version of the hearty chilli!

Priti S said...

Yum yum ...looks so tempting

Swathi Iyer said...

Delicious, Archana, I like your veggie version of chili. It is a long pending recipe for me to try.

Akila said...

Looks so spicy...

Copyright